Email Me

Email me

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

6 Weeks Left

...well, actually 6 weeks and 1 day, but 6 weeks from now I will be in Vail, CO, probably doing pre-op stuff for my surgery the following day. It seems like it is so far away, but so close at the same time. I can't say that I am nervous yet. Rather, I am excited since it means that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I am in fact going to be fixed. If Dr. P isn't the man to fix me, than I don't know who else can.

I am sure that the surgery/recovery is going to be rough since this is going to be the biggest surgery on my hips yet, but, it will be worth it so that I can get my life back. I would love to be able to walk without hurting, turn corners without catching, paint my toe nails, tie up shoes, etc. etc. get the gist :)

So currently I am awaiting final confirmation from the surgical coordinator at the surgeon's office. In a months' time I will also receive my surgery information packet and set up the actual appointment times for January. Setting this surgery up has been a pain in the neck and the logistical hoops through which I have jumped has been more than frustrating at times. Hopefully setting up hotels, flights, car/shuttles, etc. isn't too complicated. All of this hoop jumping has to be worth seeing the top-dog in the hip scope world, right?

Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy Dance!

So, yesterday I got the authorization approved for my surgery. My insurance company has approved hip arthrscopy, femoral chondroplasty, acetabular chondroplasty, labral repair, and labral reconstruction, microfracture if needed. I am utterly thrilled! In fact, I did a happy dance which included some jumping around when I heard of the news. Of course, this was all done on one leg since I can't do that sort of thing anymore. In any case, I am absolutely thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woot, woot!!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Long Day Ahead of Me

Well, today I have to be on my feet from 9:00 am until midnight. Literally, I am sitting on my recliner wondering how I am going to do it. I fear I won't be able to do it since I am already quite sore. I suppose if there is a will there is a way. And I'll find a way to get through this. I just hope I can walk by the end of it. I'll sit when I can and rest when I can, but goodness it is daunting sitting here thinking about it when I know it isn't going to be fun.

Ah well, such is life. Less than 2 months left of this though :)

Friday, November 4, 2011


Dear my lovely insurance company,

Please, please, please, PLEASE approve authorization for my upcoming surgery. Please! I really need to have my labrum reconstructed so that I can get on with life and finish this final hip chapter.

Yours truly,
Desperate hip patient

Hahaha, in all seriousness though, I have had Dr. P's office submit my authorization for my labral reconstruction. We are anticipating them denying it initially and then we will have to file an appeal and hopefully get coverage. The ability of me to have the surgery is totally dependent upon getting it covered since, to self-pay, it would cost tens of thousands of dollars up front! And I don't have access to that kind of money. I am stressing about this a bit since I really need the surgery, I just need it covered. Sigh.

On a lighter note, my hip pain definitely has decreased since getting the injection. It still hurts and isn't great, but a bit more manageable than before :)

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Happy Place

The steroid injection is actually kicking in and I feel a little bit better; the edge is off the pain. I had a rough steroid flare-up but it guess it is worth it to get some relief. Hopefully this lasts me a little while yet. I wouldn't mind if it lasted until my surgery date.

It is funny how your mind can play tricks on the body though. I've been pretty sore as of late, and am completely convinced that I need surgery. Then, the steroid kicks in, and I think to myself "well, it's not that bad." Wouldn't it be great if steroid injections were permanent deals? If that was the surgery for me!!!

We are going to be submitting pre-authorization to my insurance in 2 weeks time. My insurance company has been known to give problems to those who are in my situation (repeated surgeries and now needs a reconstruction). But, people have got it covered and I have proof that I have exhausted all conservative measures. Let's pray that I can get it covered because if they deny my case, I can't get my surgery done because it would cost $35,000 up front payment! eek.

Let's start the praying!!!