Email Me

Email me

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Turning the Corner

This past Tuesday was the day that I woke up and suddenly, I felt a change.  I felt better!  Every single day I am able to do more and more.  Functionally this includes: showering all on my own, ride stationary bike for 15 minutes at a time, crutch in one fluid motion with crutches and bad leg meeting the ground at the same time, cut my own toe nails (for the first time in a year and a half!!), bend down to get to the lower drawers in my room.  There are prolly many more, but I can't think of them right now.

Things that I still need help with: setting up for a shower, carrying things with two hands. That's basically it.  So, I can say with confidence that after the first two weeks, the PAO is not THAT bad.  It's not fun, but it's doable and not horrendous (after the initial couple of weeks).  It's as if somebody flipped a switch and pow--I'm feeling better.  Don't get me wrong, I still have pain and am still non-weight bearing, sleeping yucky, but if I had to do this again, I would (I'm calling tomorrow to discuss this topic with my surgeon as my location plans for residency have changed from what I had anticipated). To put this recovery into perspective, I feel like, overall, I am actually doing better than after several of my scope surgeries.  It's so weird!

Currently I am doing LOTS of range of motion exercises and stretches.  I make sure that I get up and crutch around the house very often, and make sure that I do one extended crutching venture (like 10 min or so) every day as I don't want to get too deconditioned and I want to be able to walk as soon as I get the clear to do so. 

As far as medications go, I have been able to significantly wean down my pain meds this week.  As of 6 days ago I was still taking Norco 10/325 mg every 6 hours, and since seeing my surgeon and obtaining Norco 7.5/325 mg, I have been able to wean over this week to, for the last two days, taking half of my Norco 7.5/325 mg once in the morning and once in the evening.  I add Tylenol during the day up to the maximum allowed dosage and take Robaxin as needed when I get muscle spasms (which is always my adductor muscles).

No comments:

Post a Comment