Email Me

Email me

Friday, November 7, 2014

5 Weeks Post RPAO

Ok, so like, yeah, things have been hectic; too hectic to be good.  I started back to work officially at four weeks, but unofficially at 5 weeks. So I had to do anesthesia for three days then the weekend off then start outpatient clinic. The anesthesiologist showed mercy and told me to not come in and to stay home and continue to recover.  Which was necessary since I wouldn't be able to do any intubations anyway.

I then started outpatient clinic at just shy of five weeks post op.  Eww. Yeah, it is absolutely no fun crutching into patients rooms and having to think about medicine at this point in time.  I'm exhausted.  Literally, by noon I'm ready for a nap.  It's not the pain that is a problem (though my left hip hurts tremendously from being the sole weight bearing leg), but the lack of stamina.  I have negative energy at this point in time.  Two days after I started in the clinic I got a sore throat and then, yesterday, viola!!!!  I have strep throat. No kidding this is horrible.  I'm still feeling gross from the surgery and then I have a disgustingly sore throat with exudate, a fever of 102F, vomiting, myalgias, lack of appetite, cervical lymphadenopathy.  All around a bad day yesterday. Phew.

Today is better though I still have a sore throat, I am not vomiting and my fever has broken.  It is a shame that I had to get sick because I am hanging on by a thread anyway, and to add this sickness on top of the massive healing I am doing, it just drains me.  Oh, and to add insult to injury, I am studying for boards (which are December 1st...how I will be able to sit for 9 hours of multiple choice questions is beyond me) and the regular readings we are required to do for my residency.  It all is, well, EXHAUSTING. 

I hate complaining.  In fact, this entire post has been relatively depressing.  I am not depressed, I'm just drained.  Completely drained.  I should still be staying in bed, icing, and watching movies on Netflix instead of commuting 1 hour and 45 minutes a day, seeing patients, and studying.  It just is a very rough patch in life.  I like to think it will build character; but for now, I need a pick me up.

As far as the right hip goes, it is relatively pain free.  I still have soft tissue pain from the surgery but the groin pain has gone away. My left hip still has tremendous groin pain but the anterior pain from the screws is much better.  The incisions look great.  I had a piece of suture sticking out on the distal portion of my PAO scar and I was fiddling with it today and it kinda just fell off.  Meaning that there is a small hole at the distal portion of the scar where the incision is; I'm kinda freaked out!  I hope it closes soon. Sigh.

over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment