Email Me

Email me

Friday, May 18, 2012

When the going gets tough, the tough get going...

...the best we can anyway.

The last week has been utterly draining on so many different levels.  Although I have great work hours, I am so completely exhausted from this pain.  Very hard to deal with the rigors of medical school clerkship and deal with having two bad hips.  All I can say is that I am learning so much about myself.  I am surviving and keep on going despite not being able to stand for more than five minutes.  I hurt all of the time.  Worse than ever.  I don't know why.  I mean, doing medical school and rotations are not helpful for my hips, but I can hardly imagine that being in this amount of pain is normal, despite having major reconstructive surgery almost 6 months ago.  Something has to give.  I don't want to know what.

I emailed my surgeons right hand man yesterday asking if there was something that I could do to help with the pain, his response: are you taking anti-inflammatories.  Yes, yes I am.  I was on 1000mg of Naproxen each day and have gone to 750mg each day.  Of note, I was feeling worse prior to dosing down.  And this Naproxen is just not cutting it.  They could be placebo for all I feel.  Even the Tramadol at night only helps me relax, I still throb.  And I can't take anything stronger as I need to be able to think at work/school all day.

Until now, I have only had one bad hip at a time.  Now, dealing with two bad sides is much more difficult.  I literally don't know what leg to stand on and half the time I lean on counters or sit since I can't stand any more.  I hope that I get to see my surgeon in the near future as this is uncool.  I'm running out of energy and need some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment