Email Me

Email me

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Waiting for Follow-Up

This past week I finally got ahold of Dr. P's ATC and scheduling lady.  She is trying to fit me in for an appointment in early June on a Wednesday.  That's only a couple of weeks away.  As it stands now my left hip is terribly messed up.  The ATC said that he promises that I'll have a thorough evaluation during my next appointment in Vail to determine exactly what is going on and what we need to do about it.  Although he did not come out and say the 's' word, he did elude to the fact that surgery is in fact an option in the future.

There are two problems with having more surgery: a) I have no time off from school and b) my other (right) hip is going downhill FAST.  I feel like this hip deal has spiraled out of control and I have no way of stopping it from consuming my life.  At this point though, I really need to get this fixed so that I can get my life back.  I truly am not functioning well at all.  I can barely stand for more than 5 minutes, nor can I walk for any significant distance.  I was in a store yesterday and could barely do 15 minutes of walking around the store to pick out a birthday present for a three-year-old nephew.  And to think that I used to be a national athlete!

If I had the option to have both hips fixed within a year, I might gladly give up a year and do it.  Taking a year off from med school would not be the end of the world and it might give me the chance at recovering my health.  This is a very difficult time for me with many difficult decisions are on the horizon.  Although many of this is hypothetical, it is a very real possibility.  I know my body, and both hips are not right.  End of story.  I will get them fixed (as per my lengthy discussion with my surgeon at my last appointment), but at what cost?  My hips have taken so much of my life, how much more are they going to take?

No comments:

Post a Comment