Email Me

Email me

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Friends

I always thought that friends are there for you, through thick and thin.  There to support and encourage.  Not necessarily to just socialize when times are going smoothly, but for a shoulder to cry on and a word of support when the going gets though.  I am pretty sure this is what a friend is supposed to do.

I was utterly let down this past week.  I won't get into the specifics, but, I have a friend who I would consider one of my best friends.  We have been 'best friends' for like 15 years.  This past week I received a Facebook message telling me that she is mad at me because I wouldn't go out shopping with her and that she felt I didn't want to see her.  Excuse me, but she has no idea how much I would have loved to go out with her shopping.  But I can't do that, I can't stand at the moment.  I haven't responded to her message, but I really don't think she knows how much she hurt my feelings.  I have hip chick friends with whom I have never had any direct physical contact, known for only a couple of months, and they are more concerned about my feelings than my long time friend of more than a decade.  It is heart breaking.  I am pretty emotional these days leading up to my appointment with my surgeon as I could very well be off to surgery in the near future and have to take a year out from school.  Meanwhile, I have a friend who is definitely not supporting me through this difficult time.  I'm not asking for much.  I don't expect her to ever understand what I am going through, and I don't want others to have to go through what I am dealing with currently.  All I ask is a little bit of empathy and consideration for my current health situation.  It breaks my heart that she feels this way.  I would bend over backward for anybody who needed help, and my friends' response: you aren't spending enough time with me.  I am crying as I am typing this because I thought that my friend would have been there for me and all she cares about is herself.  I guess going through difficult times really brings out peoples' true colours.  And I want to tell everybody out there who has given me support and encouragement: thank you!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment