Email Me

Email me

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Too Soon eek!!!!!!

My surgery is coming up way to soon. I am getting nervous and I still have more than two weeks. eek.This upcoming week I have a phone interview with the pre-admission clinic and then I have a pre-op physical booked this week too. The next week I finally finish exams and move home, which gives me 5 days at home before going in. In which time I have totally jam packed my days full of stuff I need to get done.

I have been researching about the indications regarding when an electrocardiogram should be ordered pre-operatively, and I am now slightly concerned about why my surgeon has made a point of making sure that I get an ECG. According to some journal articles I read, it is not indicated (usually) unless you are older than I, or have a cardiac condition. Since I am 25 years old, I find it hard to believe that I would be indicated to have one done. Especially for an ambulatory day-surgery. I know that doctors should not order tests unless the results will change the treatment plan (at least that is what they teach us here), so I am a bit concerned that something might have happened during my last surgery to warrant an ECG prior to this surgery. Also, this could be my paranoia kicking in, and this could actually be just a change in protocol from the last time. Either way, I will be sure to ask my surgeon when I see him in 2.5 weeks for the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment