Email Me

Email me

Monday, January 16, 2012

Nerve Pain

My swelling and bruising are dissipating nicely. I am extremely happy at how the bruising is decreasing. I have been going to PT every single day and we have been taping it up in a web-like pattern and it really has cleared up the bruising well. =)

I could, though, do without the nerve pain. My femoral nerve and lateral femoral cutaneous nerve (LFCN) are EXTREMELY irritated. The LFCN's area of hypersensitivity and pain has quadrupled to what it was pre-op. Since my last surgery I have had an area about the size of a deck of cards on my lateral thigh that was hypersensitive and paresthesias. Sometimes I used to think that my cell phone was buzzing in my front pocket! But now it is a huge area that is so sensitive, anything that touches it makes me cringe. Even light touch with fingertips (during effleurage sessions) makes me have to hold my breath. Also, the femoral nerve irritation has led to an empty-end pain in my rectus femoris. I can't wait for the nerve to heal up (fingers crossed this occurs sooner rather than later)

I am feeling much better than this past weekend though. Saturday was a wreck. (I even had a meltdown) But today, I rode the bike for 40 min and only had minimal pain at the beginning of my cycling session. My knee flexion doubled from Saturday! (both the PT and I are ecstatic about this). Overall, I am heading in the right direction. I can't wait to test out my hip once my ROM restrictions are lifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment