Email Me

Email me

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Will this ever end?

Warning, vent may proceed.

Seriously, my hips are trying to make my life more and more difficult. It is exhausting to always be thinking and worrying how much pain I will be in and if the surgeries I have had will help alleviate the pain enough to function. Sigh.

Yesterday I had my 6 week follow-up with my orthopaedic surgeon and it went exactly how I feared. By now I should have had some pain relief and I do not :( So, my files are getting sent to Dr. Philippon to see if I am a candidate for labral reconstruction using my IT band. The OS was great and fully explained everything in detail and answered all of my questions. This was a stark contrast to his PA who I originally had in the appointment. Initially the PA came in and asked how my pain levels were and how I felt, I told him and he replied that it was normal for 2 weeks post-op. I quickly told him that I was 6 weeks post-op. He proceeded to say that it was normal to be stiff and we could start PT and see him in 6 weeks and, that was it! I was stunned. I explained how my surgery went and that the pain levels at the 6 week mark would be an indicator of whether or not I need reconstructive surgery, etc., etc. To which he replied that he would get the surgeon for me to meet. Seriously, I traveled all the way back to school (11 hours drive) to have this appointment and I wasn't even going to see the surgeon; I think not! It ended up that my surgeon spent about 20 minutes with me explaining the pictures from surgery, the next options, the future of my hip, etc.

So, as it stands, I am going to need reconstructive surgery. I am going to try and suck it up and get it done in two years time after I am at the end of medical school and before residency. But, if this past surgery didn't alleviate any of the pain and I can't stand long enough to do well on my rotations in the hospital, I will have to get it done sooner and take a year off from school. At this point I am sick and tired of having sore hips. So I am currently waiting to hear back from Dr. Philippon and I suppose we will go from there. I HATE HIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment