Email Me

Email me

Thursday, September 1, 2011

8 Weeks Post-Op

Yuppers, it has been 2 months since my left hip scope.  I don't know if I should be happy or frustrated.  I suppose I am entitled to be both simultaneously.  I seem to be having a difficult time with this recovery since I didn't get any relief at all from my surgery and now I am rehabbing so that I can re-gain what I have lost from going under the knife, only to do this all again in the future (hopefully in two years time!)

As of now though, I would say that I have constant groin pain at 2/10 and is worse at night.  Sometimes I need the help of a narcotic to help the throbbing to subside so that I can sleep.  Just these last few days though, my gait has improve substantially and I can walk with almost no limp!  Yay!  I have been going to PT three times a week and it has helped with my core strength, ROM, and wakening up certain muscles.  My psoas is being difficult but I am working on it each day.  

As far as ROM goes, I have excellent aBduction and extension, good aDduction and external rotation, and sucky flexion (almost 90*) and zero internal rotation.  Hopefully as the joint inflammation decreases and the hip muscles start to relax and guard less, I'll be able to gain more motion.  

One thing that I have been dealing with since I've started all of my exercises is great SI joint pain.  More so on the right than the left.  My PT found mild SI instability and figures that it may be an inflamed SI ligament.  All I can say is that I need this to settle down too since it is causing a significant amount of pain.  It is more acute pain than the dull, achy, chronic groin pain that I always have.  Hopefully that this settles down in the very near future since I start working again in a week and a half.  eek!

I really hope with all my heart that I can rehab enough to allow me to get through these next two years before I need the reconstruction done because I would hate to have to take a year off from school.  This is weighing really heavily on me at the moment because I really don't know how my body will handle being on my feet all day long in the hospital.  And when I talk about it to my family they all say that they know I can do it and get through.  But when I talk to my friends they say they don't want me doing too much and worry that I am going to be in pain and not be able to do my job.  I certainly hope that my family is right.  It is hard because the future is unknown and I've put so much hard work into medical school that it would be a shame to have to take time off just because of my hip.  Wouldn't it be great if we could disconnect our brain from our bodies?  Perhaps I'll sever my spinothalamic tract?  Or ask for a sensory epidural? hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment